Sunday, May 15, 2016

Try something new

I'm always interested in trying new things when it comes to a new workout or sport, but there is rarely an occasion where I can go through with it due to scheduling conflicts, and yes sometimes excuses.  I decided one day it's been a long while since I had that new feeling with something I have wanted to try.  I'm finally carving a little time for me and rewarding myself,  while embracing my fears.

Trying new things is exciting, of course it can be nerve wrecking, but I always feel it's pretty similar to starting the first day of school.  You can't sleep, you can't concentrate on anything else the days leading up to it and you are likely over thinking EVERYTHING!  You still go, you survive and you look forward to the next day, and the next, and the next.

So, my something new was taking up tennis.  
My first lesson was Saturday morning and I absolutely LOVED it!  

I have to say, I went in picturing myself rock'n it on the court and I did.  I didn't let fear get the best of me as I normally do, because it's those times I lack the most confidence in myself.  I know myself all too well, if I walked in and already felt defeated I would have given it 20% or walked away from crippling fear.  I definitely praise my coach today for making my first lesson so enjoyable while still challenging me.  This is the one area I always self-doubt.  Instead, I chose self-love and it was rewarding and such an empowering feeling to step outside my comfort zone.  When we can prove to ourselves the power of our own abilities to create circumstances like this, we can pretty much see no end to our strengths and determination to just give something new a go.  

To someone else, this may have been as easy as brushing one's teeth, but to me it was a huge deal and I walked away happier, and will be healthier for it.  Trust me, everyone's fears can't be compared, but the emotion itself isn't personal - we all feel fear at one point or another in our days.  

I had a pep talk with myself before arriving 30min early.  That's me... over preparing and leaving time to meditate.  Trying is so much more rewarding than sitting everything out because you feel you're never going to be as good as the next person.  I think I'll keep trying new things and see where they take me.  

What's the last thing you tried that was new?  What did you learn about yourself?  I encourage you to do something you have been wanting to try, even if it's not the first time, and live it up!  We only have this one life, make it spectacular!  



With gratitude


No comments:

Post a Comment